Wednesday 13 January 2010

Charles Ledray 'Men's Suits'


9. 09

The installation consists of three separate but thematically related tableaux, each a sort of sculptural still-life made of arrangements of hundreds of men’s garments in tiny sizes. Each of the miniature articles of clothing was designed by the artist, individually tailored in different sizes, and sewn with his own hands, right down to details so minute they are almost invisible to the naked eye.

Being a costume maker I thought OMG I do this all day long making little toiles of the costumes your going to make, and I usually chuck it after....lol what a waste never thought of it really as art before, artistic ya. Men's Tailoring being a passion of mine, I found myself scrutinising the making of the garments and It looked like a few different people have made these, as the standard of each garment was widely varied......

I found myself more interested in the ceilings of the pieces the attention to detail of the the dust balls and dirty perspex light coverings. This peice made me realise how I take what I do for a living for granted I didn't see it before really as art.

No comments: