Tuesday 27 January 2009

READING CLASS 'BEING AN ARTIST'

In our reading class this morning we were asked why we were here and wanting to be artists. This really stumped me as no one has ever asked me that before. I’ve never really thought of myself as an artist although my family & friends call me an artist. I’ve always been artistic from a young age, and indulged in it for pleasure & relaxation I never realised that you could make a proper living from it that seemed unattainable only for the exceptually talented & privileged.

So I’ve gone from job to job and the art has become a kind of by product of my work that I’ve chosen to do. I’ve ended up where I’ve never thought I could be, making a reasonable living from selling my talent. That’s everyone’s goal isn’t it. Except although I’m more or less there it doesn’t feel like Nirvana. I have more work then I can handle making things for other people realising their designs for them. And even when I make my own designs its for a commission so I still don’t own it. I have loads of ideas but no time to do them so they get shelved. Everyone seems to want my time so as a result I have none left for myself. Although I love what I do I no longer make art for pleasure or relaxation. I need to keep making & teaching it to finance my life but that part has completely taken over.

I guess I’m here to learn how to relax learn how to say no occasionally and do my art for me, I’m not bothered about recognition (it’s a nice feeling when it happens) only that I can finance my life so I can feed my compulsion, art.

Found this quote from Robert Sabastian Native Artist '........go with your instinct towards feelings that you have, don't paint for other people, don't paint for the dollar, paint for yourself. Others will realize the spirit in your painting, then you will survive.'

No comments: