Sunday 19 April 2009

Annette Messager 'The Messengers'




The Hayward, Southbank centre: Annette Messager The Messengers
Surveys four decades of work by one of Europe’s most compelling artists. In her work Annette Messager questions the tacit rules of art and life’ challenging the roles assigned to women’ subverting identity’ using unorthodox materials the stuff we find around us in our homes’taking as her sources popular and folk art, the rituals of daily living, mythology and fairytales. As she says,’I seek to possess and appropriate for myself life and its events.’
The majority of the this exhibition gave me the feeling of someone clearing out their clutter and displaying it. Someone who has kept every single piece of work that they have done irrelevant of whether it was good or not. Made me think of all the stuff that I have binned that I should of kept or documented thinking it was crap. I liked this piece Red silk with the wind machine puffing it up then letting it collapse, it was constantly changing reminded me of a city scape.

No comments: