Sunday 12 April 2009

The Dream Play Response




The last group performance of the VLP's was a performance based on Strindberg’s ‘Dream Play’ not having read it before I found this performance very confusing.
This was a piece of conventional theatre, simple set, seating for the audience that felt kind of too far away a definite dividing line, no interaction between the two. It felt safe and relaxing, maybe a bit too safe. Visually it was pleasing, well constructed set, the lighting was a bit dark focused on the red door. I kept expecting one of them to open the door but it never happened. Maybe it needed a secondary light on the actors they seemed to be in the gloom.
I thought the projections could have been larger or more on eye level couldn’t quite make them out adding to my confusion. I meant to go and watch the second showing so that I could better analyze it but got caught up in work so unfortunately missed it. I assume this is one scene of the play. I don’t think that it stood up by itself as an individual unit too the inept.
This has made me revaluate when devising a performance getting too close and caught up in it, it seems clear what you’re trying to get across, and you unintentionally assume the audience knows more. It’s hard to step back and revaluate with fresh eyes.

No comments: