Friday 6 March 2009

Interim Show 'Intersections'






















Intersections is a exhibition of Wimbledon College of Art MA students work from Feb 27th-March 8th. This is an exhibition of new experimental work by more than 70 postgraduate students from MA fine Art and Visual Language for Performance students.
Sarah and I were the only VLP showing in the Interim show so I kinda felt like an impostor never having work shown in a art gallery before I found myself avoiding my piece not wanting to be associated with it, but then felt abit guilty like abandoning a child. Some of the comments so far are quite amusing and very positive which surprised me. I was expecting to be slated.
This experience has made me re-evaluate what I am doing. Am I a performance artist? I do feel more in my element when I'm making a piece of work. The process is what I enjoy. And when asked to be analytical about what I've done I've noticed I go on about the process more. Have I just been conditioned into thinking that I should be doing theatre because that's the area (costume)where I work?
Doing this show has really given me a buzz. I guess I am an experiment of my own research I'm sitting on the border of two mediums (instead of cultures) which way do I go???? Fuse them together. I think I will learn alot more if there is a fusion rather then going left or right.


My picture and Sarah's piece. I like the way Sarah's curls stand out in the photo wish I had a better camera.

2 comments:

DOC said...

Who says it has to be an either or.
Design, material, performance all can work together.

What's happening is your beginning to see you strengths and as you learn more about defining your practice you'll want to go deeper. That is why the analytical doesn't make sense to you right now--because you didn't have a reference point--now you do. Be patient with the process--believe me from my point of view --you can see it all falling into place.

Doug

Sarah said...

Hi Eileen,
Thanks for posting these pictures of our work.
I have yet to document my own piece but ill get round to that tomorrow and post some shots of it too. But thanks for showing one here in the mean time.
I just wanted to pass on another interesting comment I heard about your work. One of my friends thought that the black patterns on the left look like the kind of cards that psychologists typically show to their patients and ask them what they see. I think this interpretation is particularly fitting with the themes that you are working with here and I wondered if this similarity was intended?