Tuesday 3 March 2009

Marcus Coates


First impression of Marcus Coates on YouTube mmmmm don’t know about that. In an interview he said that he learnt to be a shaman in a workshop. This is what I am anxious of portraying by using native influences I don’t want people to get the impression that they’re being mocked. He seems to be taking the piss not showing respect.

Fame by shocking, making people laugh, local nutter fame mentality at the expense of the traditions of native peoples. Is that what he is doing???????? He puts me in mind of an old fella they call Gandalf who roams around Sutton usually on a Saturday he dresses like a wizard, cape, staff and a black cat on a lead. Been doing it for years.

But on the other hand, he is getting at some primitive psyche that people, like it or not have deep down, that superstitious bit that everyone has ingrained in them to some extent, but doesn’t like to admit. I don’t want my work to replicate just amalgamate and evolve naturally with my own take on influences.

No comments: